Why Health?

For as long as I can remember I have had a passion for health and having a healthy lifestyle. My desire for this blog is to bring information to those wanting to change their lives for the better through examining the psychological and spiritual aspects of health and wellness.



Monday, August 23, 2010

Unit 4 Journal

Loving Kindness

I really enjoyed doing the Loving Kindness exercise. It allowed me to really feel the deep love I have for others and for myself that I haven’t felt in a long time. I found it beneficial to open my heart up and feel those feelings, even for those suffering and to those that I have negative feeling toward. We as humans have a natural ability to love and love well when we allow ourselves to. For emotional and spiritual health, we have to exercise/give our love just like we exercise our body for optimal physical health. I believe in Dacher’s words, “loving-kindness attracts loving kindness” (2006, p 65). When we use the fullness of our hearts to give to others, it will get refilled by receiving love in return.

The loving kindness exercise is very easy, and it will only get easier the more it is practiced. It is an exercise definitely needed by all. For our psychospiritual health to flourish, we must follow the council and commandment given to us in John 13:34 “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.”

Mental Workout

Just like everything else, psychological health needs persistent effort. For the mental workout, contemplative practice is implemented; loving-kindness and the addressing the levels of the subtle mind. Research indicates that benefits of the Mental Work Out “help us to tame and train the mind, open the heart, expand consciousness, and progress us toward psychospiritual flourishing. They introduce us to the two wings of integral health—loving-kindness and wisdom” (Dacher, 2006, p 66).
To implement mental workouts to foster my psychological health I will open my heart to others. I will start within my family until I am comfortable to spread out to friends, and then search out those that are in need. I feel it also necessary to address taming my busy mind. When I can simplify my thoughts, in turn, my actions will also be simplified. With this new simplified life, I will more enjoy this journey called life, and then I can help others feel joy in their journey.

Reference

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cami,
    I am glad you enjoyed Love and kindness exercise. You mentioned Dacher's words "loving-kindness attrack loving kindness" reminded me of that old saying about treating others as we want to be treated. My mother always mentioned to us when we were growing up. And you are right, we have to exercise love and kindness to begin the optimal health process. I enjoyed reading about your experience. Great job!

    ReplyDelete