Why Health?

For as long as I can remember I have had a passion for health and having a healthy lifestyle. My desire for this blog is to bring information to those wanting to change their lives for the better through examining the psychological and spiritual aspects of health and wellness.



Monday, August 30, 2010

Unit 5 Journal: The Subtle Mind and Spiritual Wellness

1. Compare and contrast the Loving Kindness exercise and the Subtle Mind exercise. Explain your experience including the benefits, frustrations etc.

The Loving-Kindness exercise was more of a mental work out, where the Subtle Mind exercise was a mental relaxation. Both exercises are meant for the person doing them to focus and take control of their thoughts, actions, and feelings. Through the Loving-Kindness, my thoughts and feelings were guided into a more pleasant state. I was able to grasp onto the loving-kindness that I have for myself and for others. Dacher teaches that by consistently continuing with the Loving-Kindness exercise, I will gradually diminish self-centeredness that will prime my mind for further development (2006, p 65). Through the Subtle Mind exercise, my thoughts and feelings were controlled in the sense that I was able to focus on my inner self and stop all unnecessary mental chatter.

The Loving-Kindness exercise was easy for me to do. I was simple and I achieved a light and happy feeling when done. The Subtle Mind exercise was a little harder for me. I guess for being the first time doing the exercise, I was a little annoyed at the length of the exercise. Dacher does explain that it will need to be a daily practice and “it will evolve over time” and I must exercise patience for progression, and “regardless of your efforts, you may lose your focus many times in each session” (2006, pp 75-76). I did enjoy that it was a breathing exercise and that having breath at all times, I can do this exercise anywhere.

2. Discuss the connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness. Explain how the connection is manifested in your personal life.

After we have accomplished the ability to know how our bodies physically work, and what works for our body, we then can move onto the development of the mind. Mental wellness focuses on is being able to have a still, calm-abiding consciousness and a unity of consciousness. When the unity of consciousness taps into the higher consciousness, deeper realms of our biological and mental abilities are then connected to the spiritual capacity. “An ease and lightness enter our life and cleanse our mind and body. In this manner, biological development progressively extends our ability to prevent mental distress and physical illness, enhances recovery from disease, and promotes integral health, happiness, and wholeness” (Dacher, 2006, p 86).

Once I am able to connect mind/body practices to achieve a higher consciousness, I will be able to cleanse all negativity and self-centeredness from myself. Once I allow myself to be approachable by the light of spirituality, my higher consciousness will help me feel connected to God and all that He has created. I know that I have felt the feelings described by Dacher, “weightlessness, the ability to be in more than one location at the same time, extrasensory capacities, luminous bodies, super –vitality and movement, intuitive experience, transcendence, transformation, resurrection, and mystical ecstasy” (2006, pp 85-86). These experiences were felt when I was in deep meditation, prayer, or listening to others describe testimonies of spiritual experiences. These are feelings that are desired and needed often. When we can feel these often, we then can have the connectedness to our Creator.

Reference

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.

1 comment:

  1. This exercise was more of the opposite with me. I guess it is because I have used the breathing technique several times before that it was a lot easier for me. I like the breathing technique because it is easier, you can use it anywhere, and at any time. With the loving kindness, I think there was too much switching around. You did a great job with your blog this week.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete